CyberCorps®: Scholarship for Service
The Center for Information and Systems Assurance (CISA) at Kansas State University is a proud participant in the CyberCorps®: Scholarship for Service (SFS) program. Due to potential unavailability of funds from NSF, we are not accepting applications at this time. If the financial situation changes, we will announce it here, along with the appropriate deadlines. We anticipate being able to take new applications in time for Fall 2020.
CyberCorps® SFS is a unique program designed to increase and strengthen the cadre of federal information assurance professionals that protect the government's critical information infrastructure. This program provides scholarships that fully fund the typical costs that students pay for books, tuition, and room and board while attending an approved institution of higher learning. Additionally, participants receive stipends throughout the scholarship period. The scholarships are funded through grants awarded by the National Science Foundation (NSF).
If you have any questions not answered on this, please email either the Department of Computer Science main office (email@example.com) or our SFS coordinator Professor Dan Andresen (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Applicants must meet the following eligibility requirements:
- United States citizen or permanent legal resident
- Full time student at K-State or applying to a degree program at K-State and intend to have coursework and/or research emphasizing the areas of Cybersecurity or Information Assurance
- Able to pass federal government job screening requirements and background check
- 3 years or fewer away from graduation by the first semester the scholarship will be awarded
- Minimum 3.2 cumulative GPA
Typically, the academic year stipend is $25,000 per year for undergraduate students, $34,000 for graduate students. In addition, the scholarship also covers other expenses such as tuition, fees, books, travel, and professional development.
Student Obligations and Employment Opportunities
Recipients of the scholarship are expected to meet the following requirements:
- Maintain full-time student status at K-State without pursuing or holding any outside employment
- Concentrate in an area of study related to Cybersecurity or Information Assurance
- Maintain compatibility with federal agency requirements (e.g., no drugs, felonies, etc.)
- Participate in required events within the program (e.g., job fairs, professional development, etc.)
- Gain an internship at a government agency during the summer
- After graduation, secure a full-time job in federal, state, local, or tribal government for a period of time commensurate with the number of years the scholarship is awarded
Students can apply for any position that includes duties in Cybersecurity or Information Assurance at /a Federal, State, Local or Tribal Government organization, Independent Agency, Government Corporation, Commission, or Quasi-Official Agency. Positions may be secured to meet obligations at a National Laboratory, a Federally Funded Research Development Center, or other approved organization on a limited basis. If students are unsure as to whether a particular position meets program requirement they should contact the SFS Program Office at email@example.com for verification.
To apply for the scholarship, please submit the following materials:
- Completed application form (Microsoft Word 2007+ Fillable Form) (Printable Form (PDF))
- Official transcripts from all previous post-secondary schools other than K-State
- Personal statement (see instructions on the application form)
- Resume or curriculum vitae
- Three (3) letters of recommendation (see instructions on the application form)
For more information about this scholarship program, please contact the K-State CS Office (firstname.lastname@example.org) or attend one of the Q&A sessions which will be scheduled at K-State throughout the semester.
You are also encouraged to visit the CyberCorps®: Scholarship For Service official website, hosted by the U.S. Office of Personnel Management.